This is an academic two year course that will provide students with the working knowledge of a variety of public services and inform them of the employment opportunities available. It will be of particular interest to individuals who wish to enter and pursue a career in the Police Service, the Fire & Rescue Service, the Ambulance Service, the Armed Forces, Prison and Security Services or HM Custome & Excise.
The range of skills developed on the course can be transferred to a broad spectrum of vocations, past students have gone on to become police officers, soldiers, teachers, managers of major supermarket chains, and work within the fitness industry. Over the 2 year period you will study a range of 18 different units that include:
1. Government, Polices and the Public Services
2. Leadership and Teamwork in the Public Services
3. Citizenship, Diversity, and the Public Services
4. Understanding Discipline in the Uniformed Public Services
5. Fitness Testing and Training for the Uniformed Public Services
6. Physical Preparation, Health and Lifestyle for the Public Services
7. Outdoor and Adventurous Expeditions
8. Skills for Land-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
9. Skills for Water-based Outdoor and Adventurous Activities
10. Crime and its Effects on Society
11. Responding to Emergency Services Incidents
12. Career Planning for the Public Services
13. Communication and Technology in the Uniformed Public Services
14. Practical Team Sports
15. Exercise, Health and Lifestyle
16. Instructing Physical Activity and Exercise
17. Land Navigation by Map and Compass
18. Employment in the Uniformed Public Services
Year 2 - 5 GCSEs at grades 9 - 4 including maths and English along with a Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Public Services.
Course Skills & Benefits
Are there any special facilities for the programme?
Sports Hall, Strive Fitness Suite, visits/residential to various uniformed services establishments (Army, Royal Navy ect.). Presentation teams from a number of emergency services visit throughout the year. Specialist activity centres are frequently used to deliver sessions of rock climbing, abseiling, canoeing, caving and expeditions.